Monday, February 3, 2014

In a "Flicker". . .

Still (Hillsong) ~ Arrangement by D. Vichkyothin
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

In this world of high tech communications, many of us appear to rely on our communications to be sent and/or received instantaneously in a “flicker.”  However, I have learned that sending communications via email, for example, does not necessarily guarantee an immediate response, although we may often expect this and may even become frustrated that our communications were not answered right away. We begin to question, “Did the recipient receive my message? Why is it taking so long for a response?” 

On the other side of life’s coin, our life, for the most part, seems to be sailing along smoothly when all of a sudden, in a “flicker,” it is turned upside down; perhaps, due to an unexpected loss of a job, a loved one’s passing, or a life-altering change in one’s health. And so, we ask ourselves, “How could this happen? Oh God, why did this have to happen?” In a flicker, our life as we once knew it has been changed forever by an unexpected turn of events. A path we never expected to travel down. Hence, we may ask, “Lord, where is this new path taking me, for I am so afraid?” Consequently, not only “patience”, but prayer truly does become a virtue in one’s life!  

I recall as I was looking out our bedroom window one beautiful spring morning, while admiring the welcoming spring flowers that were displayed in our backyard, that I noticed an unusual looking bird scouting our yard; no doubt looking for insects.  As I did not recall seeing such a handsome looking bird like this before I asked my husband, who is always a wealth of trivia, what this bird might be. After viewing this medium size bird with its black scalloped plumage consisting of black spots, bars and crescents, along with a white rump patch and a triangular red marking on the nape of its neck, my husband informed me that it was a “flicker,” which is a member of the woodpecker family. This gentle looking bird did not seem to have a care in the world; in fact, he was quite enjoying his stroll in our backyard. I could not help but think, however, that its namesake reminded me of how quickly life’s challenges and calamities can change our day-to-day lives forever in just a “flicker.”  

It also made me ponder when we cry out to God in prayer, if we sometimes expect He, too, will answer our prayers in a “flicker.” Hence, when our prayers seem to be unanswered, we may become discouraged, frustrated or weary. Yet, in James 1:6 I am reminded, “But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.” God does not want us to base our faith and trust in Him on storms of emotion that are tossing to and fro, but on His Word and His promises. Like a mother swan who gracefully protects and shields her baby swans, or cygnets, from harm’s way with her beautifully strong and majestic white-feathered wings, God, too, will lovingly place us, “under His wings” so that we can experience His passion, peace and protection in our lives, if we will only trust in Him. Over and over again, I have found great comfort in knowing when I cry out to God during the unexpected storms of life, I will always find strength, solace, shelter, and security “under His wings”.  As I continue to mediate daily with God, my faith grows deeper and stronger, while persevering through the storms of life no matter what ill may befall me. For I have learned, to just be still and trust in Him, I will have peace in my life if I take refuge and hide “under His wings,” regardless of what may happen in a “flicker.”  

"The Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God,
in Him will I trust. . . He shall cover me with His feathers,
and under His wings shall I trust.” (Psalm 91:2, 4)



No comments:

Post a Comment