Saturday, June 22, 2013

Anxiously Patient. . .

Peace ~ Wonderful Peace - Arrangement by Dino Kartsonakis
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Oxymorontwo words or phrases with extreme opposite meaning.

It seems from almost the time we begin crawling we are taught to “Wait – Be still.” How much one spends, on average, waiting during their lifetime is debatable. However, I recently read, if a person was to live until age 70, on average, the “wait time” is two to three years.  This is approximately one hour each and every day. We “wait” for many reasons and for many occasions – at traffic lights, buying groceries, standing in line, calls to be returned, special events, doctor’s appointments, and, yes, even test results!

Waiting is, in fact, a part of our everyday life. Yet, why is it that so many of us, throughout life, seem to struggle with waiting? I sometimes have to ask myself, “Is it the waiting, itself, that makes me anxious? Or, is it the unknown of what I am waiting for that makes me impatient?”  To be honest, sometimes it is both. However, I am reminded of the scripture verse that says, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication (a humble plea) with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God, and the "peace" of God, which surpasses all understanding (what comfort), will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7). 

I cannot begin to tell you what comfort the scriptures have given me, in particular, these past three months, while waiting for ALL the various imaging and test results, not including the life-changing surgical procedure that I would ultimately have to undergo. Talk about being anxiously patient! Knowing what the initial diagnosis was, having to wait for all the test results to confirm how to proceed with the surgical route, and then when we were able to proceed with surgery was, needless to say, a very anxious and worrisome time not only for me but for my loved ones. However, at the onset of my traumatic, life-altering diagnosis, I had to accept the terms of my devastating news.  I had to be of the mindset to turn my anxieties, worries, and the fears behind my tears over to God and to truly “trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not unto my own understanding”(Proverbs 3:5), and believing that God would care for me (1 Peter 5:7).

To continue worrying about something that was totally out of my control was not only exhausting, but was a mental burden that I just could not fathom carrying on my own. For I have come to realize that the energy it takes for me to worry robs me of the time that I could be praying for God’s strength, courage, and, most of all, patience (Colossians 1:11); knowing that whatever trials may come my way they will not only help me develop endurance, but endurance will develop strength of character, and, thankfully, character will develop a confidence of hope (Romans 5:3-4). It is only when I replace my worry with prayer, and give my hand to Jesus knowing He won’t let go, then I can truly trust and believe that all will be well with my soul because He loves me so.  

Trusting is Believing
Trusting is believing that God could care for you,
And trusting is believing just as a child would do.
It's like giving your hand to Jesus, and knowing He won't let go.
I'll trust Him because He loves me so. ~ Words by Flo Price ~



“Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow;
it empties today of its strength." ~ Corrie Ten Boom ~



 




1 comment:

  1. Oh Bonita, it is not only important to you that you share your story but also that you live by the words that you inspire others to do! Bonita you are a very special lady! May God be ever so pleased with you! There is no doubt.....none what so ever...that you are a child of The King!
    Praying HIS richest for you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete