Monday, November 18, 2013

Be Still. . .


Quiet Time With God ~ Arrangement by James Dering
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

As part of my last three chemotherapy treatments, I was required to wear a pair of oversize mittens and slippers that were frigid beyond belief.  I truly thought before the end of each cycle I would end up with frostbite.  It was that freezing cold and painfully uncomfortable to the point that I could not be still and was constantly restless throughout the treatment.  The numbing, tingling sensation involving both my hands and feet was extremely challenging.  Occasionally, I would slip my hands out of the mittens for temporary relief but reluctantly would have to put my hands back into the mittens until the treatment period was finished.  I cannot tell you what relief it was when I saw the empty IV bag an hour later!  The purpose for wearing the mittens and slippers, I understand, is to numb the blood vessels in both your hands and feet so less chemo medication reaches these areas, in order to prevent the nails from discolouring or shedding. Although, I have discovered that one still ends up having some nail discolouration as well as numbness and tingling weeks later that will hopefully clear eventually; only time will tell. 

Being still can be very challenging for some as they feel they must constantly be on the go or doing something all the time.  During these past few months, however, as my world turned upside down, I have learned to appreciate being still and am reminded of God’s reassurance, “Be still and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10).  For I have learned, only He is our safe haven and strength in times of struggles and stress.  Consequently, by being still one learns many lessons:
  • Letting go of worry and fear, and savour the quietness of the soul that only God can give each and every day.  "When He gives quietness, who then can make trouble..." (Job 34:29)
  • Treasure the peace and calmness when experiencing the serenity of the body, mind and soul when trusting God in all things.  "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusteth in thee." (Isaiah 26:3)
  • Wait patiently on the Lord, for only He will give the inner contentment, peace, and quietness when my heart is troubled. "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you..." (John 14:27)
  • Just like the dew that comes in the quiet evenings to water the gardens, so does God’s grace water and enrich my soul when I am calm and lean on Him for His nourishment of peace and tranquility. "And the peace of God that passeth all understanding shall keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:7)
  • Cherish this resting period as I listen to the whispers of God’s comfort for my body, mind and soul to heal and be restored.  "He maketh me lie down in green pastures; He leadeth me beside still waters. He restoreth my soul..." (Psalm 23:2-3)   
Remember, yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a “gift” and that is why it is called the present!  I pray that the beauty of God’s peace may help take away the strain and stress that you may be experiencing in your life today when you, too, learn to be still and trust in the resources of God’s grace and His presence.

Be Still
"Be still, and know that I am God"
That's all He asks of me.
My trust I give to Him alone,
My mind is stayed on Thee.
~ By Bonita ~


May the quiet whispers of God's presence and comfort 
still your body, mind and soul."
~ By Bonita ~



No comments:

Post a Comment