Monday, August 29, 2016

The Storms of Life

Sometimes It Takes a Storm - by Jessica King
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Recently, my husband and I watched the torrential rains that were sweeping across our quiet, peaceful neighbourhood by the lake. Although it was only late in the afternoon, the sky was so black, one would have thought it was more like ten o’clock at night.  

This incident reminded me of another severe summer rainstorm a few years ago that I was, unexpectedly, caught in while driving along the highway heading towards home. All of a sudden the heaven’s floodgates opened and a severe down-pour descended within a matter of seconds. I had no idea where I was on the highway and could not see anything beyond the dashboard. One minute I was driving on dry pavement, and the next I felt like I had been blindfolded. Within seconds, I felt absolutely lost and paralyzed on the road by this storm; I was terrified! I had no idea where I was on the road, let alone what cars were either ahead of, beside or behind me. Was I on the right side of the road, middle, or left? How close was I to the shoulder of the road?  I earnestly prayed, as I cried out to God, that He would protect me and keep me safe as I did not think I was ever going to get through this storm. 

I distinctly remember repeating scripture verses I had memorized since I was a child, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble" (Psalms 46:1)…"I will never leave thee nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). I was clinging onto these promises for dear life! I remember singing, over and over, what I could recall in my terrified state of mind, a few stanzas of an old Southern gospel song entitled, “Stand by Me….When the storms of life are raging, stand by me, when the storms of life are raging, stand by me.  When the world is tossing me like a ship out on the sea, Thou who rulest wind and water, stand by me.” (Words and music by Charles A. Tindley)

I have yet to meet anyone throughout my life, thus far, who has not experienced some varying degree of storms in their life. There are times, when we must face unimaginable storms in our lives, which will makes us feel we can never survive. I do believe, however, there is a reason for everything that happens in my life. Without a doubt, I know, and truly believe, God has a purpose and a plan for my life, even while living with cancer. However, it is only through much prayer, soul-searching, trust, and meditation on God’s word that His promises give me the strength and peace for every single day.  It is only then, can I compassionately share with others that sometimes it takes a storm to know when there is nothing else you can do but turn to God.  He will take care of you. It is only then, will you realize God is ALL you will ever need; just cling to Him. For God is with you always and will never leave you. It is only Him that will not only shelter you, but will carry you through each storm.    


He walks with me through the valleys,
He’s with me when life’s billows roll,
I only need turn to Jesus,
My “Rock” and “Refuge” for my soul.

(Inspired by Psalm 94:22)



1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful and honest post! I pray the Lord heals you completely and continues to use you to inspire others and to teach them to trust in a Mighty God!

    ReplyDelete