Saturday, September 10, 2016

Lessons from an Onion. . .

(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Not long ago, I was asked, “If you have such faith in God, why is He allowing this to happen to you? This is all so wrong. You deserve so much better!”

There is no doubt during these past few months, after receiving the news I am now living with Stage IV cancer, my life has most certainly felt like an onion. Layer by layer, my life, as I once knew it, has been slowly peeling away. The days of driving are over, working in a fulfilling, full-time position is behind me, the opportunity to take long walks with my dog, Jake, while visiting with our neighbours along the way, is gone, the enjoyment of working in the garden, while watching the flowers grow, is now a memory, and the freedom to be independent is history. There is no doubt, similar to peeling the layers from an onion, I have shed many tears; not out of self-pity but from the sadness and grief of losing layers of my life, which I will no longer be able to savour.  I must confess there are times when I ask myself, “What layer will be next, and what is the lesson I am to learn from seeing these layers gently peel away in my life?”  Have you ever felt like an onion?

If, however, I choose to look, positively, at my life as an onion, then I will immediately see there are many healthy and nutritional benefits coming into my life.  An onion is considered one of the best superfoods you could possibly eat because it: 
  • provides anti-oxidants; therefore, it helps to Take care of the body from possible infection and/or other health-related chronic diseases; 
  • increases one’s energy; subsequently, it can Re-energize the body; 
  • has nutritional properties improving one’s spirits; as a result it is Uplifting; 
  • contains many vitamins, such as vitamin C; consequently, it Supports the body overall to maintain be healthy; 
  • has other medicinal effects, which Triggers immediate relief from pain. 
Thus, from a spiritual perspective, although there are many areas in my life that are slowly peeling away, I am enriched by the many spiritual health benefits God has provided me, while I put my TRUST in Him. Without a doubt, I know God’s plan and purpose for my life is opening doors of opportunity that I could never have imagined, if cancer had not come into my life. While sharing my journey with others, I have been blessed with the possibilities of being able to inspire, uplift, support, and comfort others as they see my faith grow deeper and stronger as the core of my life is revealed more and more each day. 

Therefore, I believe that is the answer to the "why".  How can I, possibly, ever "talk the walk," if I don’t "walk the talk?" It is by my trust in our Heavenly Father that my faith gives me strength and a passion to encourage others. 

Having cancer come into my life, does not: 
  • make me bitter but better, it has brought flavour to my life;
  • break me down but builds me up; it has enhanced my life;
  • make me weaker, but stronger; it has enriched my life; 
  • make my life a tragedy but a "triumph."  
It is for these reasons, why I claim Psalm 23:4 as my verse of comfort, peace, strength and trust. I will not fear what happens in my life, while walking through my valleys with their shadows, because I trust He is with me. It is only when I plant my faith in the soil of prayer will I receive His peace in my life. God's provision of peace and love is far greater than the greatest fears that can come into my life. I know this to be true because I live it every day. We may not understand all the "why's, when's or why not's," but God only asks that we trust in Him just like a child would do.

Be not afraid, but put your trust in Him,
for He promises to take care of you.  





No comments:

Post a Comment