Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Gift of Disappointment. . .

Abide With Me - I Need Thee Every Hour - Arrangement by Iridis
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

I recently read the most often repeated command in the Bible is “fear not”; in fact, it has been said it is referenced, in one form or another, at least 365 times. Thus, how comforting it is knowing for every single day throughout the year God continually encourages us to “fear not” but to “trust” in Him so that we can ~ “cling” to, “lean on”, and “grab on” to His ever-lasting arms, which will give us both hope and strength to endure.  Although, I have not actually counted if this claim is true or not, I “trust” that it is so. Regardless, it gives me hope not of “wondering” but of “knowing” God is always there for me to lean on to when times get tough and doubt sets in so much that there are days when I do not know how I will ever cope. I have no doubt you surely have also felt this way?  

I do not recall ever before where there has been so much fear among people today, of all generations, who are so stressed and continually living in fear whether it be due to their wealth, their health or their own self. And so, with all that has happened in my life, especially since being diagnosed with Stage IV breast cancer almost a year ago, I have never been so fearful, stressed, and disappointed because I trusted in others, believing they had my best interest at heart. Oh, how mistaken I have been. Subsequently, it is an understatement for me to say I have been devastated beyond disbelief. Like King David, when reading Psalm 54:5-7, “Fearfulness and trembling have come upon me, and distress has overwhelmed me. And I said, Oh that I had wings like a dove, for then I would fly away, and be at rest! Lo, then I would wander far away and remain in the wilderness.” Oh, if only that were possible. 

Disappointment can so easily turn into discouragement, despair and defeat making life appear so futile, if we allow others or circumstances to deflate us. Hence, it is during these times when one must choose to either look at one’s glass half-empty or “half-full”.
         
In the book of Psalms, within the King James version, the word “trust” is mentioned at least 71 times. I know this to be true because I have highlighted the word every single time it has been mentioned. It, therefore, goes without saying that I cling to, lean to, and grab on to every opportunity the word “trust” is mentioned because it helps refill my glass with hope knowing I can only put my trust in God’s hand. Thus, I am comforted when reading Psalm 56:11, “In God have I put my trust; I will not be afraid what man can do unto me.”  

Consequently, one of the many lessons I can learn from the gift of disappointment is the importance of continually building and maintaining my “trusting” relationship with God; knowing He is enough in my life.  For He has promised:

He will never leave me (Hebrews 13:5)

He will take care of me (I Peter 5:7)

He is my strength (Psalm 27:1)

He will take care of ALL my needs (Philippians 4:19)

He will guide me (Psalm 32:8)

He will deliver me from all my fears (Psalm 34:4)

He will give me peace (Isaiah 26:3)

In other words, He is with me to the very end. "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” (Revelation 21:4)




  

3 comments:

  1. Prayers for you in a time when the actions of people have let you down Bunnie. How beautiful and comforting to be God's daughter, whose love and care for you will cannot disappoint, or fail you in any way. Thinking of the song by Phillips, Craig and Dean "You are God alone" Love, Mary

    You are not a god
    Created by human hands
    You are not a god
    Dependent on any mortal man
    You are not a god
    In need of anything we can give
    By Your plan, that's just the way it is

    [Chorus]
    You are God alone
    From before time began
    You were on Your throne
    Your are God alone
    And right now
    In the good times and bad
    You are on Your throne
    You are God alone

    You're the only God
    Whose power none can contend
    You're the only God
    Whose name and praise will never end
    You're the only God
    Who's worthy of everything we can give
    You are God
    And that's just the way it is

    [Chorus]

    [Bridge]
    Unchangeable
    Unshakable
    Unstoppable
    That's what You are

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the tender, loving, comforting hands of the Lord so caring, surround you and peacefully affirm to you how special you are and how much you are appreciated. You are filled with love and warmth for God and for HIS people! Praise God from whom all blessings flow! May the Lord help me to love others and not hurt anyone. Trust ...... something we all would like to have for all others.....but there is only ONE that we can truly put all trust in....In Christ Alone! That is where our hope is found. Abundant love with prayers of peace and comfort to go with you throughout your days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and prayers to you today! May the God of heaven and earth bless you and keep you! May the warmth of HIS presence surround you and give you peace! And may strength bring you joy!
    With caring thoughts,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete