Monday, June 26, 2017

The Gift of Water. . .

As The Deer - Arrangement by Katherine Ganzon
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

I was so glad being back home, upon returning from my monthly oncology visit, which is now a 4-hour round trip! Both my husband and I were exhausted, drained, and downright beat. I was ready to call it a day after having had, thankfully, an encouraging report and advice from my oncologist to “carry on” with my new target medication status quo.  Thus far, all signs are indicating it appears to be improving my clinical symptoms, which I am so very grateful for.  

However, as I began looking around our property, it became quite evident my day was far from over as many of our flowered pots were in dire distress; especially one particular pot of million bells (mini petunias). The flowers, petals and leaves were so withered-looking. I thought for sure, this pot was “kaput”!  It amazed me how a flower pot could look so beautiful, bright, cheery, and healthy-looking in the early morning, yet by end of day be so sad, wilted, drained, parched and lifeless only a few hours later. It was obvious the sun’s intense heat, throughout the day, had penetrated the pots to the point of zapping all the water out of the flowers leaving them scorched and almost lifeless. 

Nevertheless, with watering can in hand, I gave them all a good douse of fresh, cool water
like they had thought they had never felt before, in the hopes of making them look refreshed, reinvigorated and re-energized once again; giving them what they may have thought must surely be a new lease on life.  Sure enough, within a couple of hours, and to my delight, there was a remarkable transformation. I was inspired to see these tiny, beautiful flowers and their leaves revived and almost “rejoicing” as they displayed their beauty, blooming and flourishing!  All I needed to do was give them their daily douse of water.

I could not help but think of this analogy in both our “physical” and “spiritual” lives as well; reflecting on the importance of the “Gift of Water”, which we all, sadly, often take for granted. Yet, the “Gift of Water” is what we all desperately need daily in our lives, in order to stay happy, healthy, and blooming! 

Are you aware that 75% of our body consists of water, which helps to regulate the flow of body fluids, including our tissues, cells, blood and many other fluid secretions, throughout our body on a daily basis?  We are so fortunate to live in this part of the world, especially those of us who live near the Great Lakes, to be abundantly blessed with over-flowing and easily accessible amounts of water at our finger tips. The “Gift of Water” is tremendously vital in our lives, as well as the earth’s, for that matter. If a person, for example, lacks as little as about 9 cups of water in one’s body that individual could possibly suffer from various physical symptoms such as dehydration, irritability, fatigue,dizziness, headaches and possibly even death. However, it is very important to also remember that too much water can be extremely detrimental, too; like most things in life, there needs to be a happy and healthy “balance.”  

The scenario with the pot of million bells also made me think about how much I need to receive God’s gift of His "Living Water" daily in my life, too.  Without it, I know I would, similarly, suffer from "spiritual" lethargy, dehydration, listlessness and despondency. When reading Psalm 42:1, I can so relate to the following Scripture, “As the deer panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.” 

Never has there been a time in my life that I can think of in which I need, desire, long for, “run towards” the replenishment, the rejuvenation, and the spiritual refreshment of God's daily "Living Water" more than now. I know I could not survive without it. The daily heat of life's challenges, anxieties, disappointments, fears, stresses, uncertainties, and
worries can be so sweltering, leaving one completely drained, parched and almost lifeless; leaving the soul completely void. However, as I "daily” study and meditate God’s Word, I also know I can come to a “living” stream that never runs dry.  I am comforted when reading John 4:14 when Jesus says, “Whoever drinks of the water I give him shall never thirst again, but the water that I shall give to him shall be in him a well of living water springing up into everlasting life.” In other words, God’s stream of "Living Water" will never run dry; it is always there. However, it is up to me to come to His stream daily, in order to receive His free “Gift of Water”, which only He can provide.  

No matter how one chooses to look at it, the “Gift of Water” is a vital necessity both “physically” and “spiritually” for one’s well-being to be alive and survive; you cannot live without it! Even the desert, eventually, must receive water at some point for the desert flowers to bloom in the spring as they thrive to survive. 

Such a simple act on our part, yet the “physical” and “spiritual” health benefits of the “Gift of Water” are enormous in one’s life. And so, I ask, "Have you received your daily douse of the “Gift of Water” from HIM today?"  God has given us the free-will to make it our desire, so that when we receive His "Living Water" we, too, will feel like the million bells beautiful, blooming and flourishing!


The gift of living well
 is receiving
 God’s Living Water,
ever-flowing, endless and free.
      

2 comments:

  1. Many thanks Bunnie for your insightful wisdom, thoughtful and true. I like to picture the beauty around us as a gift, a kind word as a gift, a gentle hug, or a whisper of love as being sent by God. I like your reminder of the gift we can open each and everyday no matter the season; His Living Water. I'm aware there are days I completely walk right past the "gift" blinded by other things; perhaps by my own will, my own busyness, or my own self-sufficiency. I'm sorry when I think about this knowing how much our Father in Heaven desires to give us His Gifts and how He must grieve when we make life harder on ourselves by leaving them unopened,lost in our own adequacy, unmindful of our complete dependency upon HIM! Anyway . . . . thank you for the timely reminder. I'm humbled and awed by His goodness to us. I'm thankful you runneth to Him, thankful His arms are always open and grateful for the gifts I've been privileged to open . . . . simply because God used you to help me see them. I love you Bunnie girl!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said. Our church has a huge stained glass window of "the woman at the well". A reminder of the living water.

    ReplyDelete