Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Gift "Lamp". . .

I Am Always Right Here - Arrangement by Kevin Kern
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

A few ago as a Christmas gift, I gave a very dear, elderly, friend a delicate china night light that was painted with the most delicate flowers. She, in fact, is my best friend’s mom, who is now in her 90ies.  Her youngest daughter, Maureen, and I met the first day of college and we instantly became the best of friends.  She was training to become a registered nurse, while I was training to become a medical administrative assistant. For 25 years our friendship grew and bonded to the point we were more like sisters than friends; even her mom would refer me as her “third” daughter. Hence, for the past 40 years, Maureen’s mom, Margaret, and I have shared many delightful memories together. However, we have also shared some very profound times of sorrow. For example, within an 18 month span, she lost her beloved husband of 50+ years from a stroke, her oldest daughter, age 49, from a six weeks’ diagnosis of a brain tumor, and my best friend, Maureen, age of 45, after a two-year battle with breast cancer.  As you can imagine it was a devastating time for all of us, but especially for Margaret. There is yet a day goes by but what I don’t think about my best friend and how much I miss her.  Meanwhile, her mother, who has such a deep faith in trusting God, has carried on with tremendous grace, fortitude and perseverance, while steadfastly encouraging others. Consequently, she has not only been a dear friend, who I treasure, but truly one of my mentors in life. Her faith and trust in God has been unwavering in the most darkest of nights; she has been a great inspiration to me. 

Knowing how Margaret, like many of us, gets up throughout the night, I thought she might find it helpful to have a night light; hence, the Christmas gift. To this day, and after all these years, she still tells me how much she enjoys this little lamp, how it brings her comfort, guidance, and peace.  In fact, every single time she sees it, she will touch the little lamp ever so gently and send a little prayer to God asking that He will continue to take care of me. What a dear friend, but, more importantly, oh, the "power of prayer"!  I truly believe in the "power prayer" as I know God is listening to Margaret’s request because of how He is daily taking care of me.  

When I was, recently, chatting with Margaret on the telephone, she reminded me of her ritual in touching the lamp each time she walked by it. I could not help but think, however, of anotherLampthat also brings us even that much more comfort, when reading one of my favourite inspirational Scripture verses, Psalm 119:105, “Thy Word is a Lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.”
Without God'sLamp, that being His Word, and how it has guided me throughout my life and given me much comfort and peace, I cannot imagine where or what condition my life would be. I do know it would not be one of peace. For toknowGod is to “know” peace, but to have “no” God in my life, I would surely have “no” peace, but rather uncertainty, despondency, darkness, and despair. 

The greatest treasure we can have in our lives is to make sure and know Jesus is in the centre of our lives; thus, it is vital we daily turn to God's Word, which will keep us focused on what is most important in our lives and that is Him.  If you truly want to know your purpose  and your “potential” in life, I encourage you to read God’s Word for you will find it is not just about how He comforts us, but how we are to comfort others. Regardless of what is happening in our lives, God will take care of us when we put our complete faith and trust in Him. I am inspired when reading Jeremiah 33:3, "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which you do not know" as well as Isaiah 26:3-4, "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusts in Thee. Trust ye the Lord forever; for in the Lord (God) is everlasting strength."  It is only through the Grace of God that I have the strength to face every day living with cancer, while passionately wanting to encourage others.  While embracing and being grateful for each day, God has blessed me more than I could have imagined with His ever-lasting peace knowing He will never abandon me. Just knowing this is so “comforting”, “assuring”, “reassuring” and “encouraging”. Nothing happens in our lives that God does not know about, whether good or bad. Yet, He will use it to His honour and glory if we trust in Him, while He is taking CARE of us! Hence, I ask, “Will you reach for His“Lamp” so He can guide you to a more fulfilling and peaceful life?” 

When God’s Lamp shines in your life,
no darkness can stand in its presence.
~ Bonita ~



3 comments:

  1. Your writing on July 8, 2017 is so very touching. What a dear gift and thought behind a little nightlight for your elderly friend. Caring prayers uplift you and SON-shiny hugs . . . Dori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dearest Bunnie! The life stories you share that "illuminate" God, His provision, and His love is a special gift. Helping the reader to "see" God in and through each new day and every little act of kindness or gesture. Thankful for your gift of bringing God's character and nature into all things! Much love forever and always and today!! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your friend Margaret still carries on despite all her heartache. What a wonderful example she is. I'm sorry about your friend. How special that Margaret remembers to pray for you when she sees the little lamp. I remember as a young single mother, my neighbor said "I pray for you every day". I was stunned and humbled. Thank you for sharing this story Bunnie, may our God continue to give you exactly the right amount of light for each step you're on. Love Abby

    ReplyDelete