Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Gift of Communion. . .

Piano Instrumental - Music by Peder B. Helland
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

It was a delightful Canada Day’s celebration when some of my family members were able to join us for a visit by the lake, while enjoying a classic summer’s BBQ with all the fixings! These are very precious moments for me as they do not happen very often. Our lives are so busy, while living in different towns and cities does not help the situation. Nevertheless, I was so looking forward to spending the day with my beloved family. 

Like sugar plums dancing in my head, I was in my glory with ideas of what the menu might be like. Would I make a potato salad or coleslaw, or both, to compliment the burgers? What condiments would I display on one of the pretty crystal glass serving trays?
What summer dessert should we have? That was an easy one. It would be fresh local strawberries marinated in sugar, served with angel food cake, frozen yogurt, which tastes just as good as ice cream, with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkles of cocoa! The menu was done. Now unto my next planning duty; how do I want the table setting to look?   

This is truly my greatest enjoyment ~ creating the ambiance and the visual look of how I wanted the table setting to appear when we would gather around the table to share our “Gift of Communion” as a family; for it truly is a gift to spend with them. It was obvious the colour scheme would be “red” and “white” to celebrate our country’s flag colours for Canada. However, what accent pieces
would I add to the table? Slowly, I began pulling out the red placements, white plates, clear goblets, stainless steel cutlery, and white dinner napkins. To complete the picturesque table, I placed a lovely centre-piece of red and white Carnations. I am sure you can imagine my delight when every single piece seemed to bring the creative look together. It was an elegant, yet relaxed, look that would enhance and enrich our family fellowship. Our guests were in awe as they began sitting around the table, yet comfortable, savouring their meal, especially the dessert, with many giggles and laughter in between. Truly a precious moment for me!

Later that evening, after everyone had departed, the dishes were put away, left-overs were stored in containers, I thought how blessed I was to still be able serve my family in this way. Such opportunities are far and few between these days. Yes, I was tired, but it was worth it! However, it also made me think of how I prepare my “communion” time with God. Do I put as much effort into my precious moments with Him like I just did for my family, or do I just grab a couple of moments here and there, and then rush off to do something else that, at the time, appears more demanding of my time?  Surely, after all the time I spent throughout the day with the meal planning and preparations as well as table setting and clean up, in order to delight our guests, God will understand if I do not sit down and visit with Him tonight. I promise, however, I will definitely chat with Him in the morning. 

I confess, I find myself, at times, behaving like the Biblical Martha. Always concerned that everything looks picture perfect, under control and well-organized, everything in its place that will be impressive, enjoyable and pleasing to our guests. Meanwhile, Martha's sister, Mary, was quietly, enjoying her precious moments of quality time with Jesus sitting near Him.  

Martha, like myself, wanted to ensure everything was just perfect for her visitors. She was being sensible, practical and efficient, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with this approach as long as it does not over-shadow what is really important, which is spending quality time with our guests. Mary, meanwhile, realized better to be spending time at the feet of Jesus and listening to Him rather than futzing in the kitchen. As my beloved husband has reminded me on occasion, “Don’t bother with the dishes right now, they aren’t going anywhere!”  Just sit and visit.” Yup, Martha and me certainly have similar personality traits! Always wanting to please and serve others, but sometimes forget to please ourselves by just being in "communion" with our guests.     

Hence, I re-read the story of these two sisters and was reminded of what Jesus, who was their important guest, gently said to Martha, when she was most perturbed her sister, Mary, was not helping her. The Gospel of Luke 10:38-42, tells us, “As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

As you can see from Jesus’ gentle reprimand, it is important we keep our priorities in place. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a little bit of both Martha’s and Mary’s personality traits in our lives. Nevertheless, we should never allow the busyness of our activities of daily living deter us from the precious moments we need to daily spend with God in "communion"." Are the dishes more important or is it the fellowship and time we spend with our guests? Similarly, when we prepare to spend time with God, we should not be thinking about our “To Do List”. He wants us to “be still” and be “in the moment” with Him.
  
If you tend to be like a Martha, which I have already confessed I am, it is very easy to slip into the mindset of becoming restless thinking about all the other unimportant “stuff” that dance in our heads that may appear more productive and practical. However, what could be more productive and practical than if we were more like Martha’s sister, Mary, whose focus was only on hearing what Jesus had to say, while spending precious moments in His presence? 

Once again, I have learned it is far more important to set aside all the good deeds for the day I think are important and spend more precious moments being devoted to God as I "commune" with Him, so I may receive more of His teachings, wisdom and grace for my life.

In your moments of busyness,
Please Stop ~
Catch a breath of God,
So He can breathe on you!
~ Bonita ~



      

No comments:

Post a Comment