Saturday, July 13, 2013

Acts of Kindness. . .

All The Way  ~ Arrangement by Celine Dion with Frank Sinatra
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

I have been truly overwhelmed by the genuine care and concern by others, since my diagnosis and ultimate medical treatments. The outpouring of “thinking of you” notes and cards, the beautiful flowers, the phone calls, the home visits, the endless hugs of encouragement, and even the gentle squeeze of a hand have touched me beyond words. These acts of kindness reminded me of a photo my dear friend, Polly, recently sent me of her two puppies. Sometimes, we all just need a gentle reminder that "It's okay, I am with you." 

In addition to my loved ones and dear friends, who have been so supportive and caring, I also cannot begin to give enough praise to the medical professionals who are on my team to make me well again.  They have shown so much compassion, and have gone above and beyond their professional duties, to help me understand each step I will be taking along my journey to recovery over these coming months. Although it does not necessarily totally eliminate my fears and apprehensions, it most certainly brings comfort and reassurance.

Robert J. Fuery once said, “Those who make compassion an essential part of their lives find the joy of life. Kindness deepens the spirit and produces rewards that cannot be completely explained in words. It is an experience more powerful than words. To become acquainted with kindness one must be prepared to learn new things and feel new feelings. Kindness is more than a philosophy of the mind. It is a philosophy of the spirit.”  I could not agree more.

Being told one has cancer is not only devastating, but very frightening and brings with it so many uncertainties. It is definitely a life changer!  However, I can choose to feel sorry for myself and become bitter and ask, “Why me Lord?”, or I can thank God for His goodness by showering me with the kindness of others so that I can become a better person from my own personal experience with cancer.  For I have learned that sorrow never leaves us where it found us. It is only through my sorrow can I plant seeds of compassion and understanding toward others when they are hurting and grieving.  When we support one another we can give the other person the courage to persevere, the calm to know they do not hurt alone, and the comfort in knowing “tough times never last, but tough people do” (Dr. Robert H. Schuller).  I truly believe that grief is part of the healing process that we all must face from time-to-time throughout life, but the acts of kindness from others is so uplifting that it can only carry us to new horizons along our journey of life that one could never have imagined.  

     

Have you had a kindness shown? Pass it on; 'Twas not given for thee alone, Pass it on; Let it travel down the years, Let it wipe another's tears, 'Til in Heaven the deed appears - Pass it on. ~ Henry Burton (1840-1930) ~ Clergyman, Writer

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sweet Lovely Lady, the sweetness of your writings! The care and love that goes forth and wraps itself around those ready to receive and pass it on! Oh what joy it is to walk along side God and his beloved children! The saying by Robert J. Fuery is one I would love to have hanging in my home! I feel that is a sweet aroma to the Lord! You are blessed and in turn have loved to bless others! Again and again I feel renewed by God's renewing when I read your devotionals! From this moment....I feel blessed, strengthened and am seeing the Scriptures unfold right here when it says in Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love HIM, WHO HAVE BEEN CALLED ACCORDING TO HIS PURPOSE! Oh Bonita, that is you!!!!!! That is God's children! Yippee.....we have an AWESOME Father in heaven! Your devotionals are to me an act of kindness to take others by the hand and encourage and minister to! Thank you Bonita for your still moments! Thank you for sharing and for loving!
    Love, hugs and prayers for your continues healing and restoration,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete