Monday, July 22, 2013

Strands of Praise. . .

His Eye is on the Sparrow ~ Arrangement by Dino Kartsonakis
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Strand (noun) – a single hair…even a line of thought…

Did you know that the average person has approximately 100,000 strands of hair? Up until this week, I was one of them.  However, since last week was the beginning of the first of six cycles of my chemotherapy treatment, and I was assured, repeatedly, that I would lose my hair very soon as part of the anticipated side effects, I made the decision to have it all removed.  This most certainly was not something I wanted to do, but chose to do, in order to ease the trauma rather than watching the strands of hair fall out on their own.  This is my reality!  Even though it brought tears of sadness not because of vanity, but rather a reminder of what my new “phase” in life will be over the coming months, I accept that this is a necessary phase that is making me better (not bitter) ~ short-term pain, for long-term gain.  

One of my favourite scripture passages, Matthew 10:29-31 reminds me, Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care.  And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.”  I cannot begin to tell you what comfort these words mean to me right now knowing that God values me for who I am and not how I look or don’t look with or without hair as He sees something so different in me than when I look into a mirror.  I also know, while I step through my shadowlands, my almighty God promises to:
  • Protect me and take care of me while I go through the valley of chemo and where I will receive His comfort and compassion – “Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on His afflicted ones” (Isaiah 49:13);
  • Reassure me that He will never leave me nor forsake me for He is my refuge and  strength – “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble” (Psalm 46:1);
  • Abide in me and pays attention to the smallest details in my life as He protects and reassures me of His unconditional love  – “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me” (John 15:4);
  • Inspire us that we may hear his song of Hope and know His loving-kindness – “Yet the Lord will command His loving-kindness in the day time, and in the night His song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life “ (Psalm 42:8);
  • Supply all my needs as I persevere and endure these coming weeks while He calms my fears with His grace and power resting on me – “My grace is enough for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (II Corinthians 12:9);
  • Exalt me beyond these shadowlands so that I may live among the Strands of PRAISE for Him, knowing He will: a) always go before me, b) never fail me, and c) always be with me – “Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may exalt you (lift me up) in due time.” (I Peter 5:6)

And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismay.”(Deuteronomy 31:8)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Beautiful Lady! I say that sincerely! I have not met you but you are oh so beautiful! I see beauty in you from deep within! I have not come to your site that I don't have a loving smile on my face because I know God has placed something beautiful for you to share! HE has spoken to you in your still moments! If you had your devotionals on audio I would listen to them as I work! The Lord knows what I need to hear HIM! After reading what you have to write, I sometimes feel as if I am cuddled up in my Savior's arms and the things that were big in my life are suddenly not so big! I feel that in this devotional! I am sure the Lord has returned to you that which HE first gave you! May your moments of peace give you great comfort!
    I love you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete