Monday, September 23, 2013

When God Has Other Plans. . .

Within the Heart of God ~ Arrangement by David Baroni
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

I found it quite interesting when I heard on the news, recently, about the story of an American balloonist, Jonathan Trappe, who had planned to fly over the transatlantic enroute to France by way of 300 multi-coloured Helium balloons that were attached to a lifeboat, just in case he had to make an emergency landing into the ocean. However, due to unexpected difficulties, he had to abandon his attempt to fly over the ocean and, subsequently, landed in a remote area of Newfoundland. Hence, his plans were changed. Regardless, Mr. Trappe was quite optimistic when he said, “Adventure isn’t what you planned on, it’s what you find.” I found his comment to be enlightening. For plans we may make in our lives do not necessarily always go the way we had hoped or prepared for. Nevertheless, it is the adventure along the way that find us embracing life’s journey in a way in which we could have never had imagined when change happens in our lives. Although changes may not always be happy, they are not always sad either. For without change, how does one grow emotionally, mentally, or spiritually?

From the time I can remember, I always wanted to work in the field of medicine administratively. Therefore, when I entered high school I planned my courses toward further post-secondary education to become a medical secretary. Those college years seem so far away now; however, throughout the past 34 years, my role in the administrative medical field has changed and evolved many times, in order to hone my skills, expertise and knowledge in a profession that I have enjoyed very much. I have had wonderful opportunities throughout my career, beyond my hopes and dreams. However, these days rather than the hospital setting being my work of employment, it is now my refuge for healing and getting well. Hence, the plans for my life have, currently, dramatically changed from being an employee within a hospital to now becoming one of its patients instead.

For some, the obvious question to such a dramatic life change may be, “Why?” “Why has this happened to me?” “Where is this going to take me?” “What will I do now?” One may not, necessarily, immediately understand why such change had to occur in one’s life; however, I truly believe that when God has other plans for my life He will exceed abundantly with His purpose and plans for my life beyond whatever I could have ever imagined; knowing He will empower me to endure all circumstances in my life (Ephesians 3:20). For God has promised that He will always be there with us, giving us the strength day by day to face each circumstance and challenge that has changed our life’s plans through our tears, our sorrows, our pain, and our uncertainties. By putting my trust in Him, God has filled me with His love, joy, peace, and hope (Romans 15:13). Consequently, I am surrounded by His ‘presence’ with my life, I am comforted by His ‘peace’ in my life, and I am encouraged by His ‘plans’ for my life. I believe in His promise when He says, “I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5). So, when God has other plans for my life and changes come my way, I know I can trust in His ‘power,’ His ‘presence,’ His ‘promises,’ and His ‘purpose’ for my life. For I have learned, the more I accept God’s plans in my life, the less difficult change will be.


God’s plans and my plans
how different they may be,
Yet, I trust in Him,
as I walk with Him,
For He’ll never forsake me.
~ By Bonita ~

No comments:

Post a Comment