Monday, October 14, 2013

Autumn Splendour. . .

Give Thanks ~ Arrangement by David Baroni
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

If asked what my favourite season is, I would most likely say “Spring” with “Fall” being a close second! I love watching nature bring forth new life with the spring flowers sprouting through the ground while the grass turns emerald green and the leaves burst from their buds like a sea of green among the trees all the while the robins cheerily sing. We are fortunate, however, to live in this part of the country where we can truly enjoy all four seasons in each of their splendour. There is no doubt that autumn's beautiful array of colours with its crimson reds, pumpkin orange and golden yellows is absolutely breath-taking. It truly is magical when on an October sunny day, with its deep blue sky and refreshing crisp air, one can hear the delightful sounds of crunching and rustling of fallen leaves on a trampled pathway or listen to the falling leaves while strolling through the woods with the sun’s gentle rays shining through the wind-swept trees.

In Ecclesiastes 3:1 we read, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.” This verse reminds me that just like the four seasons, life is always changing for each of us. Each season in our lives has a distinct purpose and will bring experiences in our lives that we should embrace because life is all about change. Yet, for some, change seems difficult to adjust to and perhaps even frightening. However, if you understand and accept that life is all about change and that each season brings forth its own beauty, along with its own challenges, this will enable you to persevere and become wiser for it. It is all about our attitude in not only how we choose to 'act,' but in how we choose to 'react' to each challenge we are faced with. 

Consider the wise farmer who patiently waits and is steadfast in allowing the fields to be restored of nutrients while lying dormant during the long, cold winter. When spring arrives, the farmer will put in long hours to nurture and properly prepare the ground before planting his seeds of choice. As summer comes along, the diligent farmer will continue to care and cultivate the field so his crop can flourish. Finally, fall arrives and the crop is now ready for harvest allowing the farmer to enjoy the fruits of his hard labour. The apostle Paul reminds us in Galatians 6:9, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” 

There truly have been days, while going through chemotherapy as you prepare to enter each new cycle that you really feel like you want to give up. You are mentally, physically and, yes, even spiritually drained at times. However, it is only through my unwavering faith and belief that there is a purpose for all things in my life as I persevere by the grace of God as well as receive the unconditional love and support of my loved ones, who continually uplift me and encourage me. I am comforted when I read Romans 8:28, “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.” I believe that God’s divine providence will continue to carry me through these challenging times and He will never abandon me as I draw nearer to Him. For I know this season, too, shall pass.

Although the seasons in our lives will always change, as the lyricist, Bruce Robertson, has beautifully written:

“Praise the Lord, He never changes,
I come to Him He’s always there.
He comforts me on every level,
takes the burden that I bear.
Praise the Lord, He never changes,
He’s never any other way.
And He’ll be the same tomorrow,
as He was and is today!”


What words of encouragement and reassurance that we can hold onto knowing we never go through a season of life without Him!

Spirit of Life
Like autumn in all of its splendour
Gives praise to the Lord above,
May your Spirit of Life dwell in me
So others may see your love.
~ By Bonita ~

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness,
goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” 
(Galations 5:22)

No comments:

Post a Comment