Monday, October 21, 2013

Heavenly Hope. . .

Streams of Hope ~ Arrangement by Dan Gibson (Solitudes) 
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Recently, I read that approximately 24,000 new cases of breast cancer, or 1 in 8 women, will be diagnosed this year alone in Canada. I find that to be an astonishing statistic and, sadly, I found myself to be part of that statistic! However, with the tremendous medical improvements in both detection and treatment, there is so much more hope for individuals diagnosed with breast cancer than ever before. For this, I am extremely grateful and it is my hope that I will be one of the statistics to be known as a long-term survivor. For each time I have one more form of treatment, whether it be chemotherapy or radiation, it is just another boost of hope to make me well again; although I have no guarantee of long-term survivability, I still have hope on my side! 

Hope is a wonderful coping mechanism in our lives that each one of us is blessed with. If it were not for my faith that brings me my ‘heavenly hope’ every day through my prayers, meditation and reading God’s Word, coping with such a diagnosis can be very distressing and sets you on an emotional roller-coaster that can bring so much grief. “What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see” (Hebrews 11:1 NLT).

Grief is not immune to any of us and it comes in many forms throughout one’s life. It is our choice, however, how we choose to cope with our grief either with hopelessness or hopefulness. I once read that when we grieve, we will go through at least five stages of grief such as: 1) deniaI, 2) anger, 3) bargaining, 4) depression, and 5) acceptance (Kubler-Ross E. 1970). 

As I can only speak for myself, I can honestly say that of the five stages I chose to immediately ‘accept’ my grieving news when first diagnosed with breast cancer because:
1) If I put my head in the sand, in order to deny my diagnosis due to fear, this would only detach me from my reality and would possibly hinder what the best medical treatment may have been available to me, and time would have been against me rather than in my favour.
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)

2) If I became angry over my grief this would only alienate me from my faith that God’s peace and strength are with me at all times.
Thou will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever; for in the Lord is everlasting strength.” (Isaiah 26:3-4).

3) If I tried bargaining with God then I would only betray my trust in Him knowing that He cares for me and will take care of me through these difficult times.
Casting all your care on Him because He cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7)

4) If I became depressed then I would only deprive myself of His promises and blessings of peace that I so desperately need every hour of every day during this challenging journey.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)

5) As a result, my acceptance gives me assurance that I do not go through these uncharted waters alone, but His unwavering love, promises, blessings, peace, strength, and heavenly hope are with me.
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11)

My ‘acceptance’ of my initial diagnosis by no means took away all my apprehensions or sadness, BUT it most certainly helped to:
  • Heal me mentally, physically, and spiritually by becoming a stronger person through the power and grace of God;
  • Make me more Optimistic knowing I am always in God’s hands;
  • Make me more Passionate about life and each moment of each day that I wake up to;
  • Instill in me to Encourage others as often as I can when they are going through their own hardships and show them compassion by inspiring them to never give up but to always HOPE.
For I have learned, it is only through my adversity have I grown closer to God rather than through prosperity. It is only through my trials have I learned to persevere, and through my perseverance I have become strong, and from my strength can I know HOPE (Romans 5:3-4).

So, with this heavenly hope that is the heartbeat to my soul, I look forward to my tomorrow’s, what new opportunities God has planned for me, and the strength as well as courage to face all circumstances that may come into my life knowing God is always with me and helps me to persevere and press on.

Hope is the heartbeat to one’s soul 
while one’s faith continues to grow. 
~ By Bonita ~



No comments:

Post a Comment