Sunday, December 18, 2016

The Gift of Suffering. . .

Praise Ye The Lord, Almighty - Arrangement by Joseph Castle
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Once again, it is that time of year when many people are scurrying hither and yon to find that “perfect” gift for their special loved ones.  For centuries, gift-giving has been a significant part of the Christmas season; in fact, as far back as to the day when Baby Jesus was born.  As you may recall, some of his visitors were the wise men, who brought treasures of gold, frankincense and myrrh. Just imagine the joy the wise men must have experienced to be part of such a historical event standing by their Saviour, who was lying in a manager, along with the shepherds, and whoever else may have come by to visit on that holy night.

It has been said gift-giving often has more of a positive-effect on the gift-giver than the recipient. It reveals how much the gift-giver cares for the recipient, as well as demonstrates their appreciation toward the other person and the pleasure the gift-giver receives when they see the joy the gift has given to the other individual.

And so, one may ask, “How can suffering possibly be a gift? Where is the care in seeing someone else suffer? And please explain, how there can possibly be any joy during suffering?”  From an individual, like myself, who suffers every day, while living with cancer, I would like to respond to those very understandably compassionate rhetorical questions~              

When I read II Corinthians 1:3-11, there are at least three health benefits I have discovered from my suffering. Hence, I consider suffering a "Gift," so I can:

Comfort” others. . .verses 3, 4 & 6, “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who ‘comforteth’ us in all our suffering ‘that’ we may be able to ‘comfort’ them which are in  any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted by God. . .whether we be afflicted…or whether we be comforted. . .it is for your consolation and salvation.”  

From the very beginning of my cancer illness, it has been my passion and commitment that cancer would never break me, make me bitter, or drain my life of Hope ~ Inspiration ~ Motivation. Quite the contrary, my journey with cancer is, in fact, all about H.I.M. It is often said at this time of year, “Jesus is the reason for the season.” Well, no truer words may be said; however, I would like to paraphrase that quote and say, “Cancer is the reason for the seasons for me to tell others about H.I.M. all year round!”  Suffering has defined my “mission” and “purpose” in life; which gives me “joy”!

Completely, unconditionally, “trust” in God and not myself. . . verse 9, “But we had the sentence of death in ourselves that we should not trust in ourselves, but (trust) in God…”

My cancer may be an "earthly" death sentence; however, death is not my termination BUT my transition to my heavenly home! Nevertheless, rather than asking, “Why me, God?” or “Why now God?”, during my time of meditation and solitude with Him, I find great consolation when reading verses such as Psalm 46:10, “Be still and know that I am God,” and Lamentations 3:22, “It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.” If I did not have my faith and trust in God, cancer would totally consume me to hopelessness, helplessness and heavyheartedness. However, by completely trusting in God's will, it takes the “fear out” of my life and strengthens the “faith in” my life. Suffering has helped me to stay calm by letting go and letting God take care of me, while I trust and rest in HIM, which gives me “Strength”!

Count my many blessings. . . .verse 11, “While you join in helping us by your prayers, then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gift that came to us through the prayers of others.”

My heart is overflowing for the many prayers that are daily said on my behalf for my family and me. Strangers, whom I have never nor probably will ever meet, have been praying for us these many months. My heart is deeply moved by the compassion and graciousness of others. It is through the power of prayer that we are seeing answered prayers! Suffering has given me a heart full of thanksgiving, which gives me an attitude of gratitude for God’s love and, most importantly, “peace”!

Therefore, through the gift of suffering I have received ~ Strength ~ Opportunity ~ Nourishment ~ Grace; in other words, a "SONG "in my heart, which I can only give “the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort” the glory and praise for the great things He has done and continues to do in my life. And so, this is my sincere prayer, when you are struggling and suffering through some type of loss in your life that you will turn to HIM, our Father of  mercy and God of all comfort, let go of your burden and let God turn it into a blessing so that you can turn your sorrow and suffering into a SONG of joy! God's blessings of H.I.M. be with you now and forevermore.

Out of my deepest sorrow and suffering
has come the strongest awareness of
God's presence and faithfulness.
  



2 comments:

  1. Praise God from whom all Blessings flow! Thank you for the post. I pray that this isn't just a beautiful devotion (and it very much is) but that is becomes and is very active in my life every day! Life giving gifts! Oh my! God has enabled us to give so much and this post is an eye opener and affirmation to that! HE has given so much and wants us to do the same. Thank you for being still and allowing HIS presence to communicate with you and for your obedience in sharing your gifts with others! You are a blessing and touch lives that truly get to hear the voice of God HIMself! Bless you in healing, comfort, strength and restoration!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Bonita, Your message touches deeply upon our utter reliance and trust in the One who makes us alive. What an incredible gift of hope not to mention salvation, God has provided us through the life and sacrificial death of His Son on our behalf. Our pastor said this yesterday; "Obedience doesn't save us ~ obedience is born of gratitude." Your grateful heart shines and blesses! What you shared about suffering defining your “mission” and “purpose” in life; bringing you joy would completely baffle without the truth that Jesus is real and a Heavenly Home awaits all God's children. Thank you so very much for your commitment (obedience) that this present illness not break you, or cause bitterness and despair. Your sharing of where your help comes from is indeed a gift of comfort to others. It is evident that the joy of the Lord is your strength! Bible commentary Matthew Henry has said this; "The better we understand God's word, the more comfort we find in it; the darkness of trouble arises from the darkness of ignorance."
    "God has blessed you with great comfort in knowing He is with you and always will be; and you have chosen to share the blessing of His Presence with us. Thank you so much! Love to you! Mary

    ReplyDelete