Sunday, December 4, 2016

What Tree Might You Want To Be?

Purple Flowers - Arrangement by Peder B. Helland
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

This past month, we have experienced some very strong wind storms consistently coming off the lake; as the waves are roaring and foaming, the trees are swaying and bracing. Even the more mature trees around our area have suffered and lost some branches, which have resulted in my husband and I picking up twigs and fragments that have been strewn across our lawn. What I find quite interesting, however, is how much these deep-rooted trees can actually withstand even though they are completely exposed to the intense elements.  They appear to bear much more than other trees, which have been planted in a more sheltered area resulting in being less exposed to the stress and strain of the fierce winds.

Consequently, I found myself asking, “If I had a choice, what tree in life might I want to be?” It has been said that our greatest virtue in character building is suffering of which I can, without a doubt, attest too, while living daily with the effects of cancer! This disease has brought much hardship and challenge just to survive the activities of daily living.   And so, my reply without hesitation is, “I would want to be a willow tree.” 

One of the many virtues I admire about this beautiful, majestic tree is its ability to “adapt.”  It amazes me how this tree is so flexible and can bend in the most preposterous positions without breaking or snapping under the most challenging circumstances.  Another virtue of the willow tree is its willingness to “adjust” under the most intense circumstances by letting go and by bending in any direction, in order to thrive and survive.        

When looking at the willow tree, it signifies to me ~ Stability, Tenacity, Resilience, Endurance, Newness, Gracefulness, Thrivability, and Healing; in other words, it denotes STRENGTH under pressure, at times, the most unbearable circumstances. It, therefore, brings comfort to me when I read, “The slender trees cover him with their shade; the willows by the stream surround him.” (Job 40:22)

Finally, the image of the willow tree instills in me the ability to Face the unknown with Acceptance and Inspiration to Trust completely in Him, our creator. In others words, it is my FAITH that keeps me calm and carry on through the winds of life as majestic and graceful as the willow tree. 


The weeping willow is a sanctuary
 for the troubled soul to take heart
to adapt and adjust; 
in order to thrive and survive.  



3 comments:

  1. I love this Bunnie, and of course you already know, I too choose the Willow tree, it was my Mom's favorite and now it's mine too. Thank you for you beautiful and inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I used to have a Willow tree in our yard but a number of years ago a tragic accident involving a young man, late into the night, damaged the tree and it needed to be removed. We have plans to plant another Willow tree in the area where the first one was. I am looking forward to watching it grow and sway in the breeze and winds that are so often a part of this mountain. I am also looking forward to doing devotionals under the Willow tree. Thank you for the beautiful story. You are a beautiful blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning my friend! Thank you for sharing your poignant example of God's presence with you. How much do we miss when our eyes and ears are clouded and do not see His kindness, His help, His way of comforting us as He shows up in all He has made. I wish you a week of even more revelation of His daily presence with you. May your eyes see and your ears be finely tuned to His presence in the most precious ways uniquely tailored for you. Love you my friend, Mary

    ReplyDelete