Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Gift of Insight. . .

My Faith Looks Up To Thee - Arrangement by Rick Betts
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

A few years ago when I had a home-based gift basket business, in addition to my full-time job, I quickly discovered my fascination with packaging. I loved the designs and colour combinations whether they be abstract, floral, cream, silver, gold, stripes, or polka dots along with the accented ribbons and bows; although, always being particularly partial to the pastel colour combination. It was, therefore, no surprise to me as I was wandering through
the drug store, recently, looking at this and that, that from a distance my eyes caught this beautiful soft pastel pink box of seashells with a product I was sure would look great with our bathroom’s cottage theme décor sitting a pretty porcelain sea shell dish.  Having my hands already full with other items, I quickly grabbed one of these pretty boxes, paid for it along with my other items, and couldn’t wait to get home and put these sea shell products on display. So, when my husband and I arrived home, I wasted no time unpacking all our drug store stuff and quietly retreated to the bathroom with my pretty box! I could hardly wait to feel their soft, luxurious, creamy texture in my hands. Hence, as I carefully removed the clear-coated lid with its fancy script describing its “Sea Breeze” scent from the box and then carefully removing the additional clear-coated
wrapping of each sea shell, it should come as no surprise to you when I found myself utterly surprised that it was not the soft creamy sea shell “soaps” I thought I would be feeling, but instead they were scented, granular “bath bombs”!  How could I be so foolish? As you can imagine, I had to laugh at myself for not having the foresight to look more carefully. However, in my defense, I was in such a rush, while my husband was waiting, all I could think of was grab and go, while “assuming” the whole time I was buying pretty sea shell soaps; particularly, since I am a shower girl and not a bathtub soaker girl! Consequently, what I had ‘planned’ for my lovely porcelain sea shell dish with sea shell soaps now became a sea shell bath bomb display in a clear glass jar along with my other shell collection. 

Subsequent to this silly incident, I could not help but reflect on other assumptions I have made throughout my life, which have had a greater impact simply because I felt I lacked the
gift of insight,” also referred to as the “gift of discernment”; case in point my cancer diagnosis. First, I never thought it possible that I would be diagnosed with cancer. Why would I?  Cancer was not prominent in my family, and, besides, I thought I had a fairly healthy lifestyle; thus, cancer should not be an issue in my life.  My assumption sounded pretty solid to me. Oh, how wrong I was!  So, once my diagnosis was made, expedited measures to remove the cancer were put in place, and, subsequently, an optimistic treatment and recovery plan were decided upon, I assumed, yet again, all would be well and my life would carry on, for the most part, as it was. However, once again, I was wrong! Never did I think I would ever be where I am today living with Stage IV breast cancer.
So, one may ask, “
How does one get, or possibly know if they have, this ‘gift of insight’?” I honestly believe the one and only sure way is by studying God’s Word and being totally accepting of God’s will and plan for one’s life.  When I was initially diagnosed with cancer, if I had not poured my heart and soul into the Scriptures seeking God’s guidance, comfort and peace, I cannot imagine the state-of-mind I would be in today. My life would be in total shambles filled with uncertainty, fear and utter sadness.


As a child of God, we are taught we all have spiritual gifts; for example, giving, helping,
teaching, encouraging, faith and, also, discernment (distinguishing) (Romans 12:6-8; I Corinthians 12:6-8, and I Corinthians 12:28).  Discernment, of note, as referenced in I Corinthians 12:10, specifically means to discern truth from the untruth. I, on the other hand, am referring to ‘distinguishing’ the gift of insight”  into knowing (understanding) God’s will for my life;  in other words, what is the purpose of cancer in my  life? I can only share with you what I believe to be the gift of insight God has shown me thus far, which is His ~

Provision – “Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them.  Of how much more value are YOU than the birds?" (Luke 12:24)
Is God really going to forsake me when I need Him the most?  I think not!  Not only do we need God’s provision of comfort and care for our physical needs, but, more importantly, we need Him for our emotional and spiritual needs. God’s riches of grace are countless! As a child of God, we are to give thanks for all things as He is in everything! As I once read, “Those who leave everything in God’s hands will eventually see God’s hands in everything” (author unknown).    
Abidingness – “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5)
In order to bear fruit, for example, my life had to be pruned so that I would grow slowly in character (strength) and reflect the fruit (bring forth) of Christ’s love towards others with care and compassion just as Christ has shown care and compassion to me, if I wanted to know God's will in my life. 
Tenderness – “The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.” (Psalm 34:18)
This truly is one of my favourite verses, and how often I have read and reread this comforting verse.  Never did I need to know God’s tenderness and nearness more than the day I was initially diagnosed with cancer and then, once again, only a year ago at this time, when I was told my cancer had advanced to Stage IV, the final stage. I need His tenderness every single day for the healing to continue in my brokenheart.      
Intimacy – “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.” (James 4:8)
I believe this with all my heart! The more intimate we are with God, the more we will know His will for our lives. Just like a child bearing their soul to their parent when they are hurting, our Heavenly Father wants nothing more than for us to come to Him, cling to Him, and trust in Him while He listens to us pour our heart out.  As He wipes our tears, holds us in His arms, He assures us that all will be well when "joy returns in the morning" (Psalm 30:5). Nothing stays the same forever.        
Endurance – “So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.” (II Corinthians 4:16-18)
Never before have I needed God’s endurance more than now! It is by taking one day at a time can one face tomorrow, knowing this too shall pass, knowing endurance gives strength to persevere and perseverance brings hope. Hence, because of Him, I can face all my tomorrows!
Nourishment – “People do not live by bread alone; rather, we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord." (Deuteronomy 8:3b)
One of the most important aspects of my wellness is to be physically well-nourished. Similarly, if I am to be spiritually well-nourished, it is impossible to know God’s will without personally knowing Him, and, furthermore, it is impossible knowing Him without meditating on His Word. Knowing God’s will for each day of my life, consequently, requires me to nourish myself daily with His Word.    
Constancy – “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” (Lamentations 3:22-23)
I have learned, the only thing that doesn’t change in life is the constancy of God. Repeatedly, I have read God’s great faithfulness, His everlasting love, and His constant devotion towards me! I could never have grown spiritually to where I am today if I, for a moment, tried going into denial of my circumstance. It is only through this circumstance have I become closer and nearer to God’s presence and peace.
Encouragement – “Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.” (Isaiah 41:10)
If I have learned anything at all throughout my life, thus far, it is that God’s will has always provided all my needs; it just may have had a different “insight” than mine. God's promises are always reminding me that I am not going through this alone, He is with me, and it is by holding onto His hands that He will carry me through this challenge.  

If it was not for God teaching me PATIENCE, I most likely would not be sharing with you today His gift of insight. This, indeed, has been a very hard lesson for me to learn.  By ‘nature’, I want to fix things expeditiously so all is well again and to move on.  However, for me to genuinely know the gift of insight of God’s plans and purpose for my life, I have learned, as so eloquently stated by Oswald Chambers, “we have to pray with our eyes on God. . .NOT on the difficulties.”


2 comments:

  1. Hi Bunnie! So much wisdom and insight; worthy of rereading several times. While we know the price of salvation has been paid in full for us; the price we pay for a humble heart, a surrendered heart, a heart solely trusting in God, deep abiding fruit, and a heart nourished only by God Himself can "seem" high priced until viewed through a very different "insight" than our own. I thank God along with you that He gives us "His" insight that we see more clearly, through His Word, His Spirit and because He loves us. Thanks again for the gift of your time in sharing your journey with us. With love and thankfulness, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Bunnie! This is so meaningful to me for so many reasons! It has been just over a year ago when another elder of the church and myself were doing a bible study and we were enlightened by God with just one word.....I so enjoy it when this takes place....the word was "pause". To pause in the presence of The Lord to hear HIM and seek HIS wisdom and HIS knowledge. Oh what a difference it makes. To be of such a help to discern what is of The Lord and what is of the world. My cousin lives with my husband and me and we make it a point to daily speak of seeing God's handprints in so many ways in the day! Whether it be an act of kindness, a word, provision or maybe peace of mind when it should not be! Oh Bunnie, I could almost write a book on your words and love here on this page but I do not want to take away from the glory given to The Lord with my thoughts and words! Thank you Dear Sweet Sweet Lady! Wow! This is so powerful! Thank you Jesus for a Lady that loves You so much and has a huge heart for others to love You also! Bless her in continuous ways with healing, Your miraculous healing and strengthening! Blanket her with abundant peace and unending comfort! Continue to walk with her and talk with her! She is so special and You have allowed us to see the glimpses of what you already knew! Afterall, You created her to be special! Thank you for doing so! We love and praise You!

    Love, hugs, thankfulness and prayers,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete