Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Gift of Daily Bread. . .

Be Still - Arrangement by DappyTKeys
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

I was blessed this past week by celebrating yet another birthday. It was momentous
www.littlebirdieblessings.blogspot.com 
for me as I truly did not know if I would live long enough to share this occasion with my loved ones, based on my diagnosis of advanced cancer presented to me exactly one year ago. Thankfully, however, God’s mercy showered me with an abundant bouquet of kindness, generosity, thoughtfulness, and love as so many “best wishes” were extended to me from my dear family and friends.  The gratitude of this humble heart is profoundly appreciative beyond words.

To celebrate the occasion of my birthday, I was taken out for dinner by some of my family members. After carefully reviewing the menu, it was unanimous 
we would begin with an appetizer of fresh “Johnny Bread,” which to our delight was served in a bountiful basket of freshly rolled dough sticks that had been tossed in garlic butter and Parmesan cheese, and then golden fried to perfection accompanied with marinara sauce. It truly was mouth-watering and, as an after-thought, I could have easily made it a meal unto itself without my main entrĂ©e. What an indulgence that would have been! As I mused on this delightful evening later on, it reminded me of the portion of the Lord’s prayer that reads “Give us this day our ‘daily’ bread. . .” (Matthew 6:11). I cannot imagine my life without bread. Although I do not indulge in the pleasure of having bread daily for dietary reasons, I do confess when I do have a slice of bread, from time-to-time; it is most certainly both comforting and very satisfying. There is a proverb that saysBread is the staff of life, referring to the importance of bread being a staple in one’s life, not just ‘physically’ but, more importantly, ‘spiritually.’

This past year has most certainly brought me to the realization just how important God’s Word is a staple, a necessity, in my life. So, when I pray “Give me this day, my daily bread,” it is not just a request of asking God to nourish my ‘physical’ needs but my ‘spiritual’ needs as well.  For without His daily nourishment, I am ultimately weak and weary. 

Why is having the nourishment of God's bread, His Word, important to me? So that I may share with others the lessons He has given to me along my journey, which is all about H.I.M. This request, however, requires a daily, steadfast commitment.  Although it can be physically, mentally and even spiritually challenging, it is essential if I want to know God’s will for my life. 


Artist - Charles C. Curran
As Proverbs 31:13 and 27 remind me, a “virtuous woman works willingly with her hands;” AND “does not eat the bread of idleness.” Knowing I am in the final stage of cancer, I do not have time to be idle; time, unfortunately, is not in my favour. However, what time is given to me with each new day, I feel is a blessing and an opportunity to feed from God’s Word. This, in turn, gives me the opportunity to encourage and give hope to others through my writings. 

Hence, when I came across the following beautiful quote, I could not help but think what comfort and fulfillment the sustenance of God’s Word has truly been in my life by helping me come to terms with living with cancer, “A woman of God is one who sees her life with a mission to serve. What others see as a burden, she sees it as a blessing and an opportunity.” ~ Christine Russell.        

Thus, for me to come to grips with my life and accept “what is” rather than “what was” as a blessing and an opportunity is only through the divine gift of God’s grace by which I receive the “gift of His daily bread”.

"The Bible is meant to be bread
for daily use, not
cake for special occasions."
~ Anonymous ~

            



4 comments:

  1. Dear Sweet Sister B, once again your message of love and faith in our Lord has given me wings to soar while I praise our Heavenly Father for His many blessings. I'm so thankful you were able to share another wonderful birthday with your loving family. I believe in my heart that it is God's delightful desire that you will enjoy other birthdays for many years. Perhaps you won't celebrate them all with your earthly family, but I have faith you will have outstanding parties with God as the ultimate party-planner and Jesus supplying everything you need to celebrate life with Him. My heart is full of love and admiration for you, my precious friend. Love you to the moon and back! Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning to a Beautiful Lady of God! Happy belated birthday!!!! I am praising God for celebration of life and thanking HIM that it is not being taken for granted or lived as that of "entitlement!" Beautiful words are written in this devotional Miss Bunnie! Thank you! I am a huge bread eater! I can make a meal out of bread alone! Thankfully I don't, but from time to time I do eat an extra piece when I maybe should not! But it is oh so good! Oh but the joy of feasting on "The Daily Bread of God's Word"....that is the meal in itself! For that, there is no need of apple butter, jam, or even butter...just God speaking to us to lead us and direct our steps, words and actions!!! Praise God for HIS Bread!!!!! Bunnie, I can't help but feel the shear joy you truly have for celebrating life..a Godly life, one blessed by your Heavenly Father, one that HE has you in the Palm of HIS Hand! Thank You JESUS! May You continue to carry this Lovely, God fearing Lady! May Your Precious hand deliver to her all she has need of and may IT carry the blessings to strengthen and encourage her each and every day as we continue to celebrate life with her and for her!
    Celebrated love and blessings to you Bunnie!!!!!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you as always Bunnie for the gift of your time as you pen what is on your heart and what The Holy Spirit is revealing to you week by week. I have no doubt that God provides us nourishment through His body of believers; who faithfully share, comfort, encourage and honor our Father as they choose to let His light shine in them and not keep it hidden inside. Thank You Dear Lord for the many different ways, and through the lives of many others, that You teach us, guide us and share wisdom that our spiritual and emotional needs be met. Please keep my sister close to your heart and to our hearts as well. Love forever and ever my friend, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonita

    I have read many of your previous posts on Our Daily Bread and I recently have been reading your blog. I have not provided comments in the past, however,I would be remiss if I did not take the time to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday and say thank you.
    Thank you for your willingness to share your faith journey which provides encouragement and strength to others. In your writings, it is evident that you have faith and joy in spite of your situation. You demonstrate the importance of recognizing and being appreciative of the small things that we often take for granted.
    Your sweet spirit comes through your writing and the peace that you demonstrate exemplifies Paul's writing in Philippians 4:6-7
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."




    ReplyDelete