Sunday, April 2, 2017

The Gift of Silence. . .

On Golden Pond - Arrangement by Andrew Lapp
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Since moving out of the city and by the lake, my husband and I have had some wonderful evenings in the countryside listening to nothing but “silence”! There are no sirens, no screeching of wheels or horns, no screaming by children while playing, or birds chattering away; not an utterance, just silence.     

To me, this is one of the most beautiful gifts of life, while gazing into the dark sky observing the night’s lights of dazzling stars above the farmer’s cleared corn field and the calmness of the lake; how peaceful and majestic. Llewelyn Powys once said, “No sight is more provocative of awe than is the night sky.”

The “gift of silence” truly brings one’s soul to peace, while dwelling on one’s thoughts of what may or may not have come my way. It brings to mind the bible verse, “Whatever state I may find myself in, therein to be content” (Philippians 4:11). It reminds me how precious and delicate life is and the importance of not taking life for granted or those who are in your life.   

A lesson I was, recently, reminded of is what is most important in our lives versus what is not.  What is most important are those we hold very near and dear to our hearts, while what is not are those who may choose to hurt us with their unkind and insensitive words when they don’t even know us. Thoughtless, uncaring remarks may for a moment bruise the heart, but as long as one stays focused to what they know in their hearts to be true and to stay strong with dignity and grace, unkind remarks will never break one’s heart! 


The greatest teacher to ever display this truth is God’s Son, Jesus, who was often verbally abused and accused; yet, He did not retaliate or say a word – He chose, at times, to be silent. This, however, was not out of weakness, but the character of His strength, dignity and God’s authority.  No doubt, there are times when we must speak up and speak out, but one must know the difference between when to and when not to. At times, there will be occasions when we need to take a stand and change a situation, while other times we will need the dignity and grace to understand not all situations can be changed and, therefore, we will need to pray for strength to receive God’s wisdom to see the difference.  I am comforted when reading, “…he who holds his tongue is wise” (Proverbs 10:10).  As a child, you may recall, “Sticks and stones will broke my bones, but words will never hurt me.” Well guess what? They will if we let them. Only we can make the choice to let them go.  How grateful I am to God, once again, that He has taught me to know the difference and to show me the importance of the “gift of silence” and that it truly is "golden." 


"Stop thinking about all the things
people said to hurt your feelings. . .
Just hold on tightly t0 the
memories of all the times

someone made you smile."

2 comments:

  1. Bless you Bunnie! Yes, yes, yes.....silence ....most often a beautiful gift indeed! Where "the small still voice" of God is not only heard, but felt as well. When life's noise's are at rest. Oh Bunnie, "in the still moments" we have the peace of Christ that wraps itself around us to comfort, to restore and to soothe. Bunnie you have a beautiful appreciation for life..as we all should...thank you for helping to keep me grounded and to bring my focus on life's simple little treasures that may so often go unnoticed! I love you Dear Lady! I am blessed by your still moments. I am so tender towards your story. And I see God cradling you in HIS sweet loving arms. Hush Dear Bonita....Don't say a word.....God's going to bless and take control.
    I am so reminded but the choosing to be silent of The Lord's words.."Be still and know that I am God." You so often make my heart smile ...(to the point that I almost think there are those little hearts floating through the air right in your direction)....that I am so shielded but the penetration of hurts and pains of unkindness and hardheartedness. Thank you for the time you take to share of your still moments and the gifts God blesses you ...and all of us, with! You are a gift to me that I cherish and thank God for regularly! Your warmth and tenderness are beautiful gifts that have exploded all around me! Bless you Sweet Sweet Child of God!
    With Love ever-growing,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Bunnie. I join Tammy's heartfelt sentiments towards you and for our Lord. Love ever-growing is a lovely way to describe our friendship as well. Thank-you Tammy! Also, "Be Still and know I am God" is a favorite meditation verse of mine as well. Bunnie, your posting this week makes me think of "meekness". The meekness of Our Lord which He freely and generously wore continually. I have heard meekness described as strength. It takes strength to submit to a higher authority! We do have a choice to respond in kind, or perhaps in kindness instead, as we let it go, pray for our own bruised heart to heal and also for the one who knowingly or not, caused the injury. We will receive divine help as we choose meekness, silence, and forgiveness. God bless you Bunnie and may every bruise reveal.... upon closer inspection, the tender salve of God which heals deeply and completely our wound and then some as well! Much love to you and Tammy too!! Mary

    ReplyDelete