Saturday, March 11, 2017

The Gift to Forgive. . .

Jesus Loves Me - Arrangement by David Baroni
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)
It was bittersweet when I recently sold my car. However, I could no longer keep looking at my sporty, white standard Ford Focus, with all its bells and whistles, sitting in the garage without it continually reminding me “what was” instead of “what is.” I had worked hard to buy my one and only brand new car, but that was then and this is now. Due to my bone cancer, my bones are at too high of a risk to fracture, at any time, in either my hips or arms should a sudden stop or jolt occur; hence, my decision to sell.
It was just too high of a debt for me to possibly pay should something happen, while driving; it could inevitably cause a significant setback that would cause even greater limitations than what I already have.

Thankfully, in no time after advertising, a young man and his dad came to see my car and without hesitation wanted to buy it. Thus, in order for me to hold it for him and to express his seriousness to buy it, the young man gave me a small deposit until the car was formally safety-checked. A couple of days later, when he came back to pay his remaining debt, I gave him the key and off he went. As a result, he set me "free" of ownership and, in return, I gave him his freedom of independence; thus, it was actually a "gift" to both of us.

One of my favourite classical hymns is “The Lord’s Prayer,” which is based on Scripture, Matthew 6:9-13. Not only have I heard many beautiful renditions of this songmy favourite
being sung by Mario Lanza, but I have also had the joy singing it many times, as well as saying this prayer reverently in church and in primary school, believe it or not; oh, how times have changed.  There is one part of this song/scripture, however, which always speaks to me profoundly each time I hear it or say it,And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors” (Matthew 6, verse 12). The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to not only “receive” forgiveness, but “give” forgiveness. If I want a kinder, gentler, humbled spirit then I “must” forgive. It is, in fact, a decree from God as read in Colossians 3:13, “Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.” God does not say, you “might” want to think about forgiving or you “should” think about forgiving, but you “must” forgive.  So, what are the benefits from the “gift to forgive”? Here are some of my thoughts ~   

Mentorship – As I meditate on the Scriptures, God is always mentoring us and showing us the importance of forgiving. For instance, I Thessalonians 5:23 states,
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. . .” In other words, God, himself, wants to teach us one-on-one His “will” for our lives, which includes His grace, forgiveness, and mercy through His love.  In return, He wants us to demonstrate this same act of love towards others just as we have received it from Him.  This can only happen, if we “choose” to want to know the will of God in our lives. Hence, the “gift to forgive” demonstrates our “willingness” to “choose” to allow God to teach us to forgive, just as He willingly forgives us. 

Encouragement – Just as I have received the kindness of forgiveness from others I, too, must demonstrate this by passing it forward.  The “gift to forgive” is the “key” that
will bring forth a healthy change in not only the one being forgiven, but the giver too, in order
for all to receive love, peace and gratitude by all. If there is no forgiveness, however, this can truly lead to many health problems like insomnia, high blood pressure, headaches, and general malaise, to name just a few.  Our emotions play a very big part on “how” or “when” or “why” we "choose" to forgive someone else.  However, the longer it is delayed, the longer will you  NOT know peace and contentment in your heart. Mark 11:25-26 says, “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him(her), that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you  do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.”  Hence, the “gift to forgive” demonstrates our desire to please God, while He encourages us to forgive.    

Restoration – Rather than holding a grudge, I have learned it is far greater for me to
restore and repair a fractured relationship, if possible, rather than throwing it away. How often God has been so gracious, so willing to restore His peace in my heart when I humbly pray asking for His forgiveness, never turning me away, but waiting for me to come to Him. It restores one’s faith when reading I John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”  Hence, the “gift to forgive” restores our relationship with God. 
   
Compassion – I believe it not only takes “courage” but "compassion” to forgive one another. It is very easy to want to “hold on” instead of “letting go” our grievances toward one another, but to what avail? The greatest form of compassion demonstrated by God was sending His Son to die on the cross for us so that we would have everlasting life; only God can do that for us by His merciful and gracious heart (Psalm 103:8). However, what He does ask of us is to “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you” (Ephesians 4:32). Hence, the “gift to forgive” compels us to show compassion towards one another; you cannot forgive if you do not have love in your heart; likewise, you cannot love if you do not have forgiveness in your heart, the two are in sync with one another.
       
Yourself – One of the most challenging lessons I have learned is to forgive “myself.” How easy it is to rethink and revisit those moments in my life that I would rather forget, but for some reason find difficult to let go out of shame, disappointment or regret.
However, God repeatedly says, “Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool” (Isaiah 1:18). If  we truly believe God forgives us, then should we not expect the same of ourselves? By not letting go and moving on with God leaves one with a glass half-empty not half-full? What possible benefit can one receive from a “negative” attitude? None. However, when we “choose” a  “positive” attitude of letting go of our own regrets, our anger and our hurts, it not only gives us strength to let go and move on and follow God's will, but allows us to love ourselves again, love others, and let others love us, too. Hence, the “gift to forgive” opens up new doors of opportunity to love again ~ yourself and others.        

The fact that God continually shows His everlasting “grace” and “MERCY” to forgive us when we confess our wrong doings to Him is to marvel, for it truly sets us "free" and breaks that chains of regret that bind us; it truly is the greatest “gift” of all!  His “gift to forgive” constantly shows us His everlasting love through the sacrifice of His Son.    

And so, it is through the “gift to forgive” that I leave you with another lesson of His "MERCY."  It is because of the “gift to forgive” that I am can cling to His faithfulness knowing, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9). So, I ask, “What can be more comforting, more reassuring, and show more “MERCY” then when I sing “Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells us so?”

For me to experience freedom in my life, 
I must receive the “gift to forgive”
for my life,
throughout my life
always & forever. 








3 comments:

  1. Good morning and blessings Bonita! In reading your lovely encouragement to forgive I Kept returning to an area my husband and me knew we needed to forgive. It brought about high anxiety, sweaty palms, headaches, nervousness and a whole lot of doubt about how it would be received. It wasn't a welcome reception....it turned out to try to make us feel like unworthy people and we viewed everything wrong and our love and tenderheartedness was not welcomed. The pain of trying again and again made it to feel that we were not forgiving.....but then, just now, I feel we have forgiven but the rest we let in God's tender care. The ugliness of it all is painful because it is one whom should be the most loving and caring! But the peace of God is one that truly surpasses all understanding. Yes Jesus loves me and we love HIM! And just as Micah 6:8 requires of me, to do what is right.....Forgive (and to show we forgive), love MERCY and to walk humbly with our God! Oh Bonita, Mercy...This one I feel was for me...I feel you were ministering to my heart this day to bless me and comfort me in knowing so much of how God would want for me to be and to also know it may not be all peaches and cream but is so necessary to be of God's family! Thank you for you still moments that you so lovingly reach out to others with to instruct, care for, encourage, inspire and most of love! Blessings of God's richest for your Sweetheart!
    With love overflowing,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning my friend. There can never be enough said on the "gift" of forgiveness and the peace that follows or the thorn of bitterness that shoots out when forgiveness is not extended. The gift of allowing God's will, that we extend forgiveness, is of great value to the offended in so many ways as you have already touched on. I truly thank-you for the beautiful way you have expressed God's will for us. There have been a few times in my life where forgiveness came at a great price. I paid for it with loss of my pride, a humbled spirit, and was rewarded with the peace you have often described here. Priceless. The prayer of St. Francis is one of my personal favorites and helps me to live out “And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors”. Worthwhile to memorize. Here is just a short part; "Make me a channel of your peace,It is in pardoning that we are pardoned, In giving of ourselves that we receive." I've learned only God makes it possible to forgive even if and when it is unasked for; simply because He desires we love as He does; without conditions; in as much as we are able. Thank-you for such a timely message in my life. God knows what we have need of. BTW.... Tammy, if you are reading I always appreciate your heart and am blessed by what you share. God bless you richly!! Love you Bunnie! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Mary! Blessings to you! Thank you for your kind words! Yes Mary...the reward we receive from God of peace is "priceless" indeed! So often the pain of tearing down the wall of self ...I could go on a bit of "I didn't do anything wrong,so..... I will just stay on my side of the fence and they can stay on theirs (a figure of speech) ..... but oh no, God would have those bricks used in building that wall to come down....oh what pain sometimes...but nothing compares to the peace of Jesus! The expression of love to be like HIM! To love not as the world! Bonita has a sweet way of her still moments of cuddling us in the arms of our Lord and tenderizing us from the tuffness the world would have us to clothe ourselves in! May the Lord bless and keep you Mary! And you also Dear Bonita!!!
    Love, hugs and prayers,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete