Monday, August 5, 2013

A Thankful Heart. . .

Calm The Wind. . . ~ Arrangement by Dan Gibson (Solitudes)
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

When you think about it, they really are two very simple words – “thank” and “you.” Their impact, however, throughout our lives can be very instrumental in not only how we look at life, in general, but also how we deal with life’s challenges and obstacles on a daily basis.  I am sure most would agree that the phrase “thank you” has been embedded into our vocabulary at a very young age. It is an expression of gratitude as a result of someone else’s act of kindness.  It is an expression of our appreciation that someone else thought of us in a special way and took the time to do something nice for us, even when we did not expect it. I cannot tell you the outpouring of kindness bestowed upon me these past few months. I am truly overwhelmed and so very grateful for the words of encouragement and for the prayers that are being sent my way. 

When going through difficult times it is so important to be thankful for all things that happen in our lives. Yes, even a life changing event like cancer!  I am reminded in Ephesians 5:20, “Giving thanks always for ALL things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.” Sometimes, that seems like a bitter pill to swallow. I truly believe, however, God’s promise when He says, “For I know the plans I have for you…plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11).  I know, regardless of my circumstances, I am in God’s hands at all times.  It is only if I have a positive attitude about what is happening in my life, good or bad, that I can be less stressed about my circumstances and, hopefully, be an inspiration and encouragement to others. I can also give comfort to others, by understanding and reaching out to them during their time of need. 

I am so very thankful that God has given me the strength and endurance to get through these difficult days even when, some days, I barely have the energy to say “thank you”.  I know the best things in life are not things, but rather who is in my life such as my husband, family, and friends (and my pets). I am thankful for the access of health care that I have received these past few months.  It has not only saved my life but is extending my life, even though the treatments, at times, may be harsh. And at night, when I pray to God and thank Him for His loving care He has given me throughout the day, I can lay my head on a soft pillow in a warm bed anticipating with gratitude what He will bring into my life the next day, and the day after that.  For I have learned, my trials and tribulations can only help me continue striving for an attitude of gratitude knowing God’s grace is sufficient for me. And that truly gives me a very thankful heart. 


Grow flowers of gratitude in the soil of prayer.”  ~ Verbena Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment