Saturday, August 31, 2013

Where is Joy?. . .

What A Friend We Have In Jesus ~ Arrangement by Rick Betts
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Often when sorrow strikes the statement is made, “Why do bad things happen to good people?” I recall Dr. Robert Schuller, a clergyman, once say, “God never answers our whys, as most people would only want an argument with God anyway at which time God will only be silent.” However, what may be asked is, “What happens to good people when bad things happen to them?”  The answer, God promises to 'comfort' us, which is one of His many promises that I have been reminded of over and over again, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted" (Matthew 5:4).

So, where is joy when there seems to be so much despair, heartache, pain, uncertainties, and stifled stress in our lives? Do you find yourself ‘enduring’ life rather than ‘enjoying’ life? As we journey along life’s path, it seems some of these feelings are more common than what we had hoped for. Sometimes we feel lost and forlorn while asking “Is that all there is?” 

We were never promised life would not have its ups and downs. We were never promised life would be smooth sailing. We were never promised that life would not have its trials and tribulations. Life, at times, will give us pain, will give us sorrow, will give us disappointments, will give us difficulties, and will give us loss, which we must all face and endure. Hence, it is our choice, and only our choice, how we choose to react to what happens to us that matters the most, not the other way around.  To help us endure, however, we are promised joy! Hence, I find much comfort when reading, “…weeping may endure for the night, BUT joy cometh in the morning” (Psalm 30:5). 

Like myself, I am sure many will remember this year as a time with much sadness rather than gladness.  I know a lot of folks who have had a lot of heartache this year, so much worse than mine! I am reminded of what Queen Elizabeth once said during her 1992 Christmas message, “This year has turned out to be an “Annus Horribilis.”  Indeed 2013, thus far, has most certainly been a life-changer for many of us.  Nevertheless, the only way I have learned to find joy in my life is not surrendering to my tears and fears, but finding relief from my grief, counting my blessings instead of my burdens, and aspiring to inspire others before I expire! I am learning to ‘isolate’ myself from negative thoughts by ‘insulating’ myself with positive thoughts, and letting go of any despair through prayer. Joy is a mindset – flowing from the inside out.  I believe God’s providence is my inheritance; in other words, as I learn to turn my pain into gain, my “trials into triumphs” and my “scars into stars” (Schuller quotes) when I seek His wisdom, endurance and guidance for my life.  For I know when I “cast my cares upon Him, He truly cares for me” (1 Peter 5:7).

It is only when I choose to cultivate an attitude of gratitude by recognizing my only best friend that will truly help me find and experience genuine joy throughout life’s journey is when I put my faith in Jesus.  I once read, “A Christian’s practical theology is often his hymnology ”(Author Unknown).  I can honestly attest to this truth as I have so often turned to the old hymns for comfort and solace.  Once such hymn is “What a friend we have in Jesus.”  For I have learned that joy is not ‘because’ of my circumstances but ‘in spite’ of them. It is only when I focus my attention on what Jesus has done, is doing, and will do in my life that allows me to look beyond today’s pain in the hopes of many tomorrows.  And this, my friend, is where I find my joy!

What a friend we have in Jesus, 
all our sins and griefs to bear! 
What a privilege to carry 
everything to God in prayer! 
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear, 
all because we do not carry 
everything to God in prayer. 

Have we trials and temptations? 
Is there trouble anywhere? 
We should never be discouraged; 
take it to the Lord in prayer. 
Can we find a friend so faithful 
who will all our sorrows share? 
Jesus knows our every weakness; 
take it to the Lord in prayer. 

Are we weak and heavy laden, 
cumbered with a load of care? 
Precious Savior, still our refuge; 
take it to the Lord in prayer. 
Do thy friends despise, forsake thee? 
Take it to the Lord in prayer! 
In his arms he'll take and shield thee; 
thou wilt find a solace there.
~ Joseph M. Scriven ~ (1857)


When you are joyous, look deep into your heart 
and you shall find it is only that which has given 
you sorrow that is giving you joy.~ Kahlil Gabran

No comments:

Post a Comment