Monday, August 19, 2013

Constant Companion. . .

I Need Thee Every Hour ~ Arrangement by Selah
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Since being at home recuperating, I have been in the company of two constant companions. First, there is our loveable, butterball cat, Willie, who is one of the most lackadaisical creatures on the face of the earth that one could ever possibly meet.  Willie is quite content receiving many tummy rubs throughout the course of the day as well as curling up on a soft sofa for his much needed catnaps. And then there is our beloved, gentle giant dog, Jake.  I have learned so much from this beautiful, even-tempered canine, particularly by ‘living in the moment,’ not dwelling in the past or worrying about my tomorrows, but truly enjoying what each day offers. One or the other is always by my side giving me their unconditional love and companionship. Their tender presence and quiet solace have been tremendously therapeutic for me and most certainly have enriched my life.  I honestly believe by having my two constant companions by my side each day that they have helped me to recover from surgery more quickly, which even my surgeon was pleased to see on a recent visit.  They are notoriously doing something funny throughout the day to make me laugh. They make me more content while being at home recovering from surgery, while at the same time still having to deal with the exhausting side effects of chemotherapy.  There is no doubt, I most certainly have been able to experience a very special bond with each of them that has brought much comfort and contentment in my life. In fact, many medical articles have been written about the positive effects pet therapy can have particularly in the healing recovery of cancer patients, which have resulted in significant improvement in one’s emotional and physical well-being to which I can attest! 

As much comfort and companionship that our much-loved pets have given to me, over these last few months, my utmost companionship, nevertheless, has been knowing God is present with me each and every hour of the day. For He has blessed me with His 'presence' in my heart and soul, His 'comfort' in my time of sorrow, His 'peace' in my time of distress, His 'reassurance' in my time of uncertainty and, most of all, His 'faithfulness and ever-lasting love' in my time of solitude.  How do I know this, because I believe in the scriptures when I read John 14:18 “I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.” It is my daily walk with God through my prayers and meditation that I know His presence and constant companionship. For I have learned, "peace is not the absence of affliction, but the presence of God" in my life, who is the greatest companion of all.


"By living in the still moments,
I have been enriched with the presence of God."

No comments:

Post a Comment