Monday, January 9, 2017

The Gift of Listening. . .

Nature's Music - Arrangement by Tammi Yates
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

Have you ever stopped to think how often we are required to listen throughout the day? It often begins from the time we wake up; particularly, for those who may require hearing an alarm clock to get their day started. However, the ability of “hearing” is very different from the ability of “listening”.   

“Being still” and “listening” are two virtues I have always strived for in my life; in order to hear, know and understand God's will for my life. When I am praying to God, I am talking. However, when I am meditating on God’s Word, I must be still and listen to what God is teaching me, if I want to know His plans and purpose for my life. As a result, I have learned, "The Gift of Listening":

~ Lessens my burdens and turns them into blessings - When I let go of my anxieties, fears and tears then I will receive God's comfort knowing He cares for me. “Casting all my cares on Him, for He cares for me.” (I Peter 5:7);

~ Inspires me to follow God's instructions in my life as He teaches me to lean on Him and trust Him in all circumstances. “Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart; and lean not unto your own understanding, but in all your ways, acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths.”  (Proverbs 3:5-6);

~ Strengthens my trust in Him and gives me salvation. “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him and I am helped; therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise Him.” (Psalm 28:7), “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on Him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.” (John 5:24);

~ Teaches me to wait patiently on the Lord, knowing His presence is always with me. “But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk and not faint.” (Isaiah 40:31);

~ Encourages me to rely on Him as He gives me direction, instruction, and protection in all circumstances. “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. . . .Thou art my hiding place and shield; I hope in thy word.” (Psalm 119:105,114);

~ Nourishes me to yearn for more of His teachings that I may comfort others in their time of need. “Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our trials that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.” (II Corinthians 1:3-4).     

I am grateful to God for His “Gift of Listening” as He is my Shepherd, who guides me along my way day by day. I am comforted that as one of His sheep, He hears me when I cry out to Him. “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me, and I give to them eternal life; and they shall never die. . .” (John 10:27-28).  Knowing my Shepherd hears my voice, strengthens my “faith, which comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” (Romans 10:17).  Hence, when I “sought the Lord, and He heard me and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4), I can say, with praise, “In God, I will praise His Word, in God, I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.” (Psalm 56:4).  


My dear friend's Labradoodle, Chloe,
inspires me to ~
Stay close to My Master,
Who never leaves my side,
He talks with me daily,
As I listen and abide. 
      




2 comments:

  1. Oh what beautiful words to sink deep into our hearts. Instruction to absorb God's goodness! Be still....Listen to the presence of God! Glory to His name! Thank you Bonita for the comfort this brings to my heart. God our time and our quietness so HE too can communicate with us! Powerful scriptures have blessed this day! Bless you Bonita!
    Love and care being lifted with prayer for you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh yes, to be still and listen to our God. Nothing can compare to the peace that follows as we surrender our very busy minds to the quiet calm of His voice. The intimacy found in relationship with Him is unlike any other. As always, I thank-you my friend for the richness of your experiences lived out in faith, hope and trust in the only One Worthy of such devotion and admiration. Much much love, Mary

    ReplyDelete