Sunday, January 22, 2017

The Gift of Star-Gazing. . .

How Great Thou Art - Arrangement by Soin Piu
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

As I look up at the beautiful majestic sky this one wintry night, in our quiet, peaceful part of the world surrounded by the farmers’ fields, and one of God’s great lakes, I truly am in wonderment. While I marvel at the celestial sky, I think to myself “He counts the number of the stars; He gives names to them all. Our Lord is great and abundant in strength; His understanding is unlimited, beyond our comprehension” (Psalm 147:4-5).    
Among the countless gifts God gives us through His marvelous creation, I am so grateful for “The Gift of Star-Gazing.” For I stand in amazement and am truly fascinated when looking for the various patterns of stars among the constellations; for example, the Big Dipper, the Little Dipper, or Orion’s belt consisting of three very bright stars. Orion is the constellation, which is defined as the “hunter” in Greek mythology, and is cited three times in the Bible (Job 9:9, Job 38:31, Amos 5:8).  What really is captivating; however, are the billion stars within God’s divine universe and I think to myself, just like the stars shining brightly in the darkest of nights, so do God’s promises shine their brightest as I search for them to bring consolation in times of tribulation. Just like the stars, God’s promises are never-ending. As I explore His Word, I discover God’s promises give:    

  • Compassion – “But thou, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, long-suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.” (Psalm 86:15)
  • On-going deliverance from fear – “I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
  • Mercy – “Through God’s loving compassion for the world, He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16)
  • Fortitude – “…but let us rejoice in our trials, knowing our trials produce perseverance; our perseverance produces character, and our character gives hope.” (Romans 5:3-4) 
  • On-going peace – "You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You." (Isaiah 26:3)
  • Reassurance – “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” (Matthew 11:28-29)
  • Tranquility – “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” (John 14:27)  

And so, as you gaze into the sky and see the beauty of God’s promises, may you find much COMFORT in Him.

“This is my comfort in my affliction,
that your promise gives me life.”
(Psalm 119:50)
   

6 comments:

  1. Good morning Bonita! I am so blessed at how you take nothing for granted! You seek and find God's hand prints all through your life and world! Praise the Lord for His beauty, His creation and His abundant love for us! The things you write of pass millions (or more) of eyes, but your eyes, in the still moments, alone with God, you are able to see and feel His presence! Glory to God! Oh how He allows our walk with HIM to be strengthened and encouraged! Also HE allows smiles and comfort to dress us with HIS peace!
    Lord, may You be blessed this day...may Your children call upon Your Name and be blessed...May Your hand rest upon Bonita and continue to provide, comfort and care for her throughout each and every day....May she continue to bring honor and glory to Your Name and may she continue to inspire others to do the same! In Jesus precious precious Name...Amen!
    Thank you so very much for your devotion!
    With love and continued prayers,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Bonita, Your willingness to share and encourage others is so inspiring to me. Your contributions to Our Daily Bread Forum is nothing less than the richest of encouragement to others. When I was ill in 2008 and then Scott just a few years ago, how beneficial to us both would your story of God's daily provision to you have helped us. We poured through God's Word with a hunger and thirst as never before and understand well your choice of using "Gift" to describe your current season. Never could we have uncovered and found understanding and acceptance of God's will and purpose for our lives through any other way. God had our full attention and He became our number one source and provider. Providing others the encouragement to press on in faith, hope and trust is beyond measurement of value. I love you and am eternally grateful to God for bringing your story to the forum and in this blog that many be encouarged to press on and cling tightly to God for every need. Hugs forever, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Bonita! Blessings to you this day! Just thinking about you and praying the Lord's peace and comfort be with you! May your day be filled with joy, your heart with warmth and your body with strength!
    Love, hugs and kisses in Jesus name,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Bonita! Greetings and blessings to you this morning! I pray God is proving comfort, joy, and abundant peace for you! You are so often in my thoughts and prayers! May the smile of The Lord be upon you this day!
    With Love and tender thoughts,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stars have always fascinated me . . so beautiful. Living in Maine, our skies are clear and when it's a "starry" night, it's phenomenal. I love the idea that Goad gives names to each of them. More fascinating to me is they are not "random".

    What a beautiful way you've explained comfort. I think of you often and pray for you. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you today! May love, comfort and peace clothe you! With much love!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete