Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Gift of Prayer. . .

Sweet Hour of Prayer - Arrangement by David Baroni
(Please click for background music as you read this message of H.I.M.)

I believe one of the greatest gifts we can give one another is “The Gift of Prayer.”  I cannot begin to express how deeply touched I have been by so many, from around the world, who have written to me and said, “I said a prayer for you today.” What a blessing to one’s ears. Praying for one another is not only a blessing but an inspiration to pray for one another. 
Prayer is my opportunity to quietly talk with God. Regardless of what time of day it may be or where I am, I know God is always available to me. I do not need to stand in line, make an appointment or wait in a waiting room to speak with Him. In fact, God encourages us to pray to Him; He is discouraged if we do not. When praying, it is important for me to remember who I am praying to and not what I am praying for.        
As I talk with God, "The Gift of Prayer” allows me to:

  • Praise God – for the many “answered” and, yes, even “unanswered” prayers He has provided in my life.  God knows what is best for me at all times and it is only by trusting in Him will I know His will in my life.  “I will praise Thee, O Lord my God, with all my heart. And I will glorify Thy name forevermore.” (Psalm 86:12)
  • Repent to God – so I may ask for His forgiveness. “For the wages of sin is death, BUT the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ, our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)  What rejoicing there can be when God cleanses our heart from sin and sets us free so we can magnify His name.
  • Abide with God – so I may draw nearer to Him. “Draw near to God, and He will draw nearer to you.” (James 4:8)  Without a doubt, I believe this to be true! I could never endure the pain and suffering of living with cancer without the presence of God in my life. There is no greater comfort than knowing He is with me at all times.
  • Yield to God – so I can fully trust in Him. God wants only the best for us. Therefore, in order for God’s will to occur in my life, I must surrender everything in my life to Him with no doubts.  In doing so, I will have both peace and contentment. “Yield now and be at peace with Him; Thereby good will come to you.” (Job 22:21)
  • Engage with God – so I can converse more with Him about all aspects in my life. Having daily communion with God is vital to my life’s “spiritual” well-being. My life would be hopeless and in a disarray without Him. By meditating on His Word and listening to Him, it allows my relationship with Him to deepen and be stronger. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
  • Rest in God – so I may have Confidence, Assurance, Reassurance, Encouragement and Stability believing He CARES for me.  When I fully trust in God, this brings me much comfort and consolation knowing He will protect me, sustain me and guide me through every moment of my life. He will never abandon me. “When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee. . .”  (Isaiah 43:2), while I “Cast my burden upon the Lord, He shall sustain me.” (Psalm 55:22)         

And so, I said a PRAYER for you today that God would touch your life in a powerful way that only He can do to bring honour and glory to His name. Amen.

Prayer is searching beyond human scope,
past reason, past logic, past yearnings,
past hope. Available always
through faith every minute.
Prayer is a power with
miracles in it.
~ Author Unknown ~


2 comments:

  1. Dear Sweet Bonita, as I read your writings, more often than not, tears of compassion fall from my eyes with such love for you. I always feel the presence of the Lord and know that He is so real in your life. The depth of stillness to hear HIS voice in your life is so inspiring and so comforting! May HE continue to carry, heal, restore and speak to you in your still moments. Thank you for sharing and helping to lead others on their journeys!
    In love and prayers,
    Tammy
    Prayers will continue to be lifted on your days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonita, I always come away with a pondering point (usually many) as I read your weekly reflections. Scott and I are blessed by your reminder to remember WHO we are praying to and not for what we are praying for. God is so mighty to save, and mercifully hears our prayers, graciously providing His help in what we ask but especially in providing what we need. May God bless you with a week that brings satisfaction in your work for Him and joy in your heart! Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete